Established in 1978, BRAMS was the first Aboriginal community controlled health service in the Kimberley region.
In response to perceived deficiencies in the health services then available, an Aboriginal community action group elected a committee of management following a series of meetings.
The fledgling service used space at the St John of God Convent in Broome and consisted initially of a volunteer administrator, driver, Aboriginal registered nurse and receptionist.
The services of a doctor was later obtained from Congress in Alice Springs. After years of community struggle, the support of other services such as Redfern AMS in Sydney and after a period of funding from Bread for the World, Commonwealth government funding was eventually secured through the then Department of Aboriginal Affairs (DAA).
Today BRAMS provides a comprehensive range of curative and public health services. BRAMS services Bidyadanga and Beagle Bay communities.
BRAMS - Contact Details
Cnr Dora and Anne Streets (640 Dora Street)
PO Box 1879
Broome 6725 WA
Ph: 08 91921338
Fax: 08 91921606